Friday, December 30, 2016

Devil's Vortex

Don't have to write a lame disclaimer; I actually bought this book!

Devil's Vortex, penned under the house name James Axler is the 125th Deathlands book and the final installment of the series. Note: The final installment not the finale. Sadly, for fans of the series we get no closure, no happily ever after, no peace for the companions. Not at all thrilled with Gold Eagle for just leaving us hanging.

The book itself is a good representation of the series. Devil's Vortex was for me a great comeback after the disappointment of the last book. As usual I do not know who the actual author was, or indeed if they have written any others in the series. We are back to the companions being in control of their own situation. Plenty of brain splattering violence, just like we've become accustomed to in The Deathlands. A little reminder here and there of how hot Krysty is and what happens to men who see her naked against her will (it doesn't end well for them).

I was amused by the authors tip of the cap to Lerner and Loewe's Paint Your Wagon, naming one of the main ancillary characters "Mariah" (they call the wind...). Nice touch. The kind of thing I often enjoyed throughout the series.

I was a bit surprised that the story was set in the Black Hills near MT. Rushmore without mentioning the big base in that mountain which was the focus of an earlier book (no, I didn't bother to look up which one). The story has Indians (excuse me, Native Americans) fighting among themselves, whitecoats behaving badly (they are whitecoats after all), and of course, our old friends kicking butt and not needing to take names.

Devil's Vortex is disappointing in that it doesn't conclude the story line, but I have a feeling the author did not know it was such (bad Gold Eagle, BAD!).

For some time the Deathlands books have been my secret (sort of) indulgence. I have always liked to fantasize about being the "last man on earth", so I'm sad to see the series end. Fortunately for me, there are still about 20 of the books in the series that I have not yet found or read, so I guess I'm not really done with the series.

If your a fan of Deathlands, Devil's Vortex by the ever non-existent James Axler will satisfy your need for a fix of post-apocalyptic violence and mayhem. Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment