Saturday, April 1, 2017

Phoenix Island

I was given a print copy of Phoenix Island by John Dixon by the publisher, Gallery Books. They sent me this book as an apology for not sending another book in a timely fashion.

It took me a while to get to this book because it didn't go through my usual channels. I have to say, I have mixed reactions to Phoenix Island. The book is apparently the inspiration for a tv show (at least that's what the cover says). I haven't seen the show and it doesn't really matter since I am reviewing the book not the show.

Phoenix Island is a good action/adventure. No lulls or slow passages, the action is nonstop and over the top. There is a romantic interest which softens the overall story a bit, but not much. It is a hard bitten, militaristic, testosterone filled ride.

With the exception of the main character Carl, most of the players in Phoenix Island are pretty one-dimensional. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it pretty much goes with the macho-military style of the story.

I said earlier that I had mixed reactions, so here we go: The story is exceptionally sadistic. When books go over an invisible line for me, it tends to turn me off. I was counting on an ending which would make the journey worthwhile, and I did get that, but I almost quit reading with about 100 pages left because it was just so cruel. The unrelenting cruelty probably more accurately describes what I have a problem with. I don't have a problem with graphic violence (Phoenix Island has that in abundance), or graphic anything for that matter. My personal limits don't change the fact that Phoenix Island is a well written book, good descriptive and engaging story telling. The action grabs the reader and doesn't let go. Even though I had my own issues with the tone, the story did keep me interested, so what can I say?

So if you are a fan of over-the-top, militaristic, action, and don't have too much of a problem with sadistic cruelty, Phoenix Island will fill your needs. Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment