Sunday, December 31, 2017

Destiny

I was given an ecopy of Destiny by Elyon Zarall for review.

Destiny is an interesting mix of steamy romance (very steamy), action/adventure, and, get this: Angels.

We don't have the usual Angels warring on the etheric plane, their business takes place here on earth. That's as close to a spoiler as you'll get out of me. You'll have to read the book to see how the angels fit in, and which angels (yeah, you'll probably know them).

Our heroine is as usual a kick-ass female more than capable of taking care of herself. Getting to be a quite popular theme these days, but so far I don't have any problem with it. Jade (the ass-kicker) is portrayed as a likable character even in her bad-assery.

There are also bad guys, human and angelic. Mafiosi, military, and family. As I said; an interesting mix. One I have not encountered before.

Although I enjoyed the book a lot, there are a couple of glaring problems. First, and hopefully this is merely that I was sent an earlier draft of the book, but there were way too many mistakes and typos. This really plays havoc with the flow of the story. So I will hope that this has been addressed already.

Second, and for me far more disappointing, the book ends in a (drum roll please) CLIFFHANGER! You know how I feel about those. I didn't have any info that this was the start of a series, and my copy is over 600 pages long (short pages due to formatting, but 600 still). As I was nearing the end of the book I started telling myself "this isn't going to end with this book" and I was right. I don't know how many more may be in the works, but I am hooked.

Characters, at least Jade, are well developed. Others will need a bit more as the story continues. This isn't a negative for Destiny as the development of other main character's motivations are part of the ongoing story. So I am not overly concerned at this point.

Those of you reading this on a site where stars are used for rating may be curious why I gave four stars when I have been a bit more critical in this review. Well, stars are arbitrary, which is why I don't use them on my blog, and as I said earlier; I am counting on my copy being an earlier draft and am willing to overlook it for now. I obviously can't (won't) overlook the ending, I hate cliffhangers!

Destiny by Elyon Zarall is well worth your time and I do recommend it. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment