Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Dog That Laid Eggs

The Dog That Laid Eggs: Every Monster Comes From Somewhere by [Maas, Jonathan]

I received a print copy of The Dog That Laid Eggs from author Jonathan Maas some time ago and was finally able to read it.

This book operates on so many levels it is hard to categorize. Most of the message is going to be interpreted by the reader based on their own beliefs. I see messages about social justice, sycophantic followers, self elected arbiters of morality, academic snobbery, xenophobia, marital relations and more. Fortunately for my reading tastes, these messages are well couched in the sometimes downright silly activities of the eclectic collection of eccentric (who knows, they might be rich) characters. Humor is the name of the game here. Anyone trying to keep discussion of The Dog That Laid Eggs on a serious tone will quickly become frustrated. The story is so full of puns, veiled nods to pop culture and downright bizarre action that the reader has to really pay attention so as not to miss any of the fun. The lazy zombies are a real kick. 

I have read several of Mr. Maas' books and enjoyed them all. I can't say The Dog That Laid Eggs is my favorite, but it is still a book that made me laugh out loud often, and think occasionally. Pretty much the order I prefer.

My only complaint: with a character named Jethro Tull, I kept waiting for him to reveal an Aqualung hidden in his barn (people my age will get that).

The Dog That Laid Eggs by Jonathan Mass is seriously entertaining. If you possess a working sense of humor, I think you will like this book. Enjoy!


Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment