Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Horseback Across Three Americas

 

Author Verne Albright provided an e-copy of Horseback Across Three Americas for review.

I usually pass on non-fiction books but since I have read two of Mr. Albright's fiction works, I agreed to give this one a look. My personal complaint is that non-fiction often read like a report, rather dry.

I am glad I accepted this book as it turns out it is a very well written interesting story. It held my interest and actually informed me in a pleasant fashion. What I know about horses could be printed on the head of a pin with left over space, ditto regarding my knowledge of South and Middle American culture. Mr. Albright weaves much of both topics into an adventure most people (myself included) will envy.

We learn about the Peruvian Paso horse (although I am still unsure what a pastern is) and meet many colorful characters as the author relates the tale of his horseback ride from Peru to the U.S. We see a side of the locals that many readers may otherwise never see. 

As the story unfolds, the reader get continuous reminders that this is not a fictional story. The heroics of fictional characters is not present. The horses are horses with the plusses and minuses inherent in any real animal. Same with the people. I enjoyed the story, feeling like I was there when he described travelling through the desert and the heat that he had to endure. 

Overall, I would say that Horseback Across Three Americas is an eye opening adventure, made more special given that it is a true story. I recommend it to those who like horses, other cultures, adventure and lighthearted pleasant reads. There is humor, drama, suspense, political bureaucracy and even a bit of romance. An all around good read. Enjoy!


Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment