Friday, September 20, 2024

 


I have said before "if you want me to read a book, put a dragon in it". I have read a lot of stories of dragons. Even so, I cannot claim any particular expertise on the genre. His Majesty's Dragon reminded me of this with great clarity. 

The detailed identification of varied dragon breeds surprised this reader who was used to classifying dragons by color rather than breed. This brought a new level of understanding and enjoyment. Author Novik spent much more ink on the relationship between dragon and human partner. Other books in the genre do identify this bond but this book really explored the connection.

The historical setting (the Napoleonic Wars) also lent a refreshing aspect to the overall story telling. The author weaves the fantasy element of dragons into the historic record so seamlessly that the story flows in a believable storyline. 

Ms. Novik does an admirable job of keeping the culture of the times in her narration. The courtly manners and mindset of the characters sets this story aside from others in the genre. Although not presented in modern vernacular, the story is not uncomfortable on the readers ear.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was somewhat surprised to find out how long the book has been available and I look forward to reading more of her work.

His Majesty's Dragon is an excellent first installment in the Temeraire series. If you like dragons (and who doesn't?) this book is worthy of your time. If you don't like dragons, I encourage you to reexamine your reading preferences ;) Enjoy!

Mike 








No comments:

Post a Comment