Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou

I received a print copy of Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou by Steven Burgauer for review.

Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou is a work of fictionalized history. I learned a great many things about World War Two and the history of boats and such. What caught my interest with this book was the connection to the Louisiana Bayous, a region of the U.S. that fascinates me, I'm not usually a reader of war books.

Although  Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou has as its backdrop WWII, I would not call it a "war book". What we read is intrigue around the development and production of the Higgins Boat, an amphibious landing craft. We have a Mafia connection, bad guy Germans, prostitutes, business people, politicians, spies, and everyday people. A lot of characters to keep straight but Mr. Burgauer (a German name if I'm not mistaken, hmm) does a fine job in that respect. I didn't find myself having to look back in the book to see who this or that person was.

Warning to the sensitive reader: Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou is written in the language of the times. There are many instances of words which would be cut from a movie today; n-words, j-words, and various other "trigger" words (what a shame that even needs to be said).

Very mild sex (especially when you consider some of the action takes place in a brothel), lots of action and intrigue. Some graphic violence. Lots of history.

I really enjoyed Nazi Saboteurs on the Bayou by Steven Burgauer. I recommend it for historical fiction fans, and even WWII enthusiasts (fans doesn't seem an appropriate word here), action and intrigue readers. Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment