Tuesday, December 8, 2015

In Sheep's Clothing

Author L.D. Beyer sent me a print copy of In Sheep's Clothing for review.

In Sheep's Clothing is a very good book. I don't normally read a lot of politically oriented books. My personal intense dislike/distrust of politics and politicians tends to make me read political fiction as non-fiction. That's just me.

In Sheep's Clothing, for me, started off a little slow, but it sure made up for that as the story unfolded. Lots of action, adventure, intrigue, and politics(Shudder). A large part of the story is set in North Idaho, I happen to live farther north of the setting in Idaho. Although fantastical, the story is believably written, a demonstration of author Beyer's ability as a writer and, I'm sure, researcher.

The characters in this book are for the most part developed well enough to understand their motivations to good or bad, not a lot of ambiguity. I think this is a good thing, having to spend too much time understanding motivations can take the energy out of an action oriented story. Beyer balances the need to understand the characters and keep the story moving at a brisk pace.

Another great change for me is the lack of typo's. Lately, even in print books I'm finding more and more mistakes. I don't know if this is due to my increased scrutiny as a reviewer or a lack of rigor in proofreaders. Either way, In Sheep's Clothing had only two that jumped out at me. I wouldn't normally even point them out but one, to me, was funny enough to be memorable.

Mr. Beyer, I haven't lived in Michigan, but here in Idaho we refer to those brown/tan animals with antlers as "deer" not "dear". Funny mistake.

The biggest negative for me, and granted it is negligible, is after being taken on a wild, twisting, turning, ride building to the great climax, I would like to have more of an epilogue. The ends were all tied up neatly but too quickly for me. This is a personal thing. I really like to hear more about how things go after the crisis has been resolved. This doesn't diminish the story at all it's just a personal preference.

If you are a fan of the action/adventure genre(you know who you are) in general or the political action adventure specifically, In Sheep's Clothing by L.D. Beyer is a good way to spend some time. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment