Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Fire

The Fire by John A. Heldt was gifted to me because I enjoy The Northwest Passage series. He didn't request a review, but here goes anyway.

The 1910 fire which devastated much of Montana and Idaho is the backdrop for The Fire. Set in Wallace, Idaho, county seat of Shoshone County, the story describes the destruction of that city. More than that, it is the vehicle whereby author John A. Heldt spins a tale of love, loss, history, humor and morality. The Fire is at times heart-warming, heart-rending, and downright heart-breaking.

I found this book interesting because I happen to live 4 miles from Wallace. My city, Osburn, even gets a mention on the book (eat your heart out). Mr. Heldt continues to provide his audience with an emotionally engaging story that encourages continued reading well past usual bedtimes. There are, of course, characters to love, others to hate, and some misunderstood.

Knowing what is coming to the town because we know the history of The Fire gives the reader a tenseness, wanting the main characters to get out of Dodge before it's too late. Of course I won't spoil the story and divulge how that all works out, but I will encourage you to read this book.

The Fire is the fourth book in The Northwest Passage series, but does not necessarily require that the other books be read first. There are a couple of references to earlier books, but those are few and not integral to the enjoyment of the story.

I don't know if it is a function of this being the third book I have read by this author, or just my mind trying to work out plot complications, but I did see one situation coming. The way it played out was not what I expected but the end result was. The book left some questions for me regarding what becomes of some of the important characters. Maybe the final work in the series will tie them up. This would be my only criticism of the book: What happened to some of the secondary characters that I came to care about? Oh well, minor irritation but it is there.

John Heldt still shows his ability to write. (I was trying to find the way to describe Heldt's particular style.) That is it, he knows how to write, period.

No secret by now, I loved this book and recommend it to pretty much all readers, I think there is something there for anybody. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment