Saturday, April 23, 2016

12:07 The Sleeping

As per usual; I was given an e-version of 12:07 The Sleeping by L. Sydney Abel in exchange for a review.

12:07 The Sleeping is a seriously dark, eerie, and scary book about things that go bump in the night, and day.

I don't usually read author notes, back page blurbs (not usually present on the e-versions I get) or other hints at what the story is about before I begin a book. Since there is a time lapse between when I accept a book and when I actually get to read it, I often don't remember what the book is supposed to be about.

I explain this to set up my review. 12:07 The Sleeping begins right in the heart of the horror, a character is in the midst of a terrifying event. This immediately sets the tone for the rest of the book. It is dark. Although there are sequences that on the face would not seem as dark, the reader is never far from being reminded of the evil lurking in the wings.

There is sex, not particularly graphic but also not particularly tame. In the context of the greater story, I did not find it titillating, salacious or even gratuitous. It was just a part of the story. The ending of the story is satisfying,... for the moment. But the reader knows.... I suppose there could be a sequel, but it didn't really seem to me that author L. Sydney Abel was setting that up.

The real surprise for me came after the end of 12:07 The Sleeping, while reading the authors' note. What perhaps I should have known at the beginning of the story, but somehow didn't, was explained. What the author shares makes the story all the more chilling. I think I am glad I didn't have this information when I began the book. I do know it altered my reaction to the story. in a most effective way.

I know, like most of my reviews, I am being vague about the actual story. I do this because I believe the more I divulge about the details, the less a person may feel the need to actually read the book. In this case, as most, that would be a shame. If you are at all a fan of dark, scary stories where there is no hiding from the evil, 12:07 the Sleeping by L Sydney Abel fills the bill nicely (or scarily if you prefer). Either way : Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment