Saturday, April 2, 2016

Pardon Me: A Victorian Farce

James Roberts provided an e-version of Pardon Me: A Victorian Farce for review.

Pardon Me is probably not the kind of book most people are familiar with. It is written in the parlance of 1890's England. Read with today's sensibilities, many would have problems with the writing. It is not PC (Thank God PC didn't exist then, so we don't have to feel guilty laughing at the comments that would offend modern sensibilities) Though to my knowledge, I have never been an 1890's British gentleman, I tried to put myself in that mindset. Race relations were much different at that time, as well as the Colonial British "superiority". The  crux of the story is of the misadventures of Madagan Run (I can't make the little hat over the u on my computer) pronounced "Rhune".

A not particularly easy read because of the language differences from then til now. But very funny, especially if you like British humor (which I do). Magadan (I break my grade-school teachers rule of using first names because of the aforementioned computer weakness) has written a lengthy missive to the Queen detailing the calamity of bizarre circumstances which have led to his incarceration in the Tower of London charged with treason.

He is maybe the most inept, bumbling and clueless representative of the Crown ever to work in the diplomatic corp. It is fun to watch him sink further and further into trouble while having the best of intentions. He has a great flair for euphemisms referring to the unseemly actions and behaviors of the people he encounters.

It took me longer than usual to read Pardon Me, but I had great fun with this story. The surprise ending is well worth the read.

If you like British comedy, irreverence, and non-pc humor, Pardon Me: A Victorian Farce by James Roberts may well be for you. Don't take it seriously, after all Farce is in the title. Enjoy!


Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment