Monday, June 13, 2016

Revenge-aroni

I was given a print copy of Revenge-aroni by author Eirik Gumeny in exchange for a review.

Revenge-aroni is the fourth installment of the Exponential Apocalypse series. Full diclosure; I have not read any of the other books.

Eirik Gumeny has written one weird book here (actually, probably four... a series after all. And yeah, I like weird). I remember seeing Rocky Horror Picture Show and Phantom of the Paradise as a double feature (yes, a science fiction double feature) in the 70's. I thought they were out there. Revnge-aroni is as far beyond those movies as they were beyond Heidi and The Sound Of Music (see, told you I'm old).

Lame comparisons aside, Revenge-aroni is a seriously wild adventure. A revenge themed story (surprised?) with a multitude of mythic and non-mythic (depending on your personal belief system) out to get the corporate wienie that done them wrong. Part road story, buddy story, action adventure and anti-establishment fun. Serious graphic (need a stronger word than "graphic") violence, non-graphic sexuality, politics, same sex relationships, corporate greed and enough cultural references to satisfy anyone who has been around a while. Although probably written for a younger audience than me, I think you have to be "of a certain age" to get all the references in Revenge-aroni. There are so many, I wonder if they were all intended. For example: "Satan laughing spread his wings"? Is that a reference to Black Sabbath, or just a coincidence? Only the author knows for sure. Judging from his bio pic, that reference is before his time.

The language in Revenge-aroni is strong; NC-17 at best. Usually explicit language (meaning f-bombs generally) doesn't add much to a story for me, and it didn't here, but it didn't particularly put me off either. There are some great "colorful metaphors" employed here that are very inventive without actually using f-bombs to make the point.

The multiplicity of Gods and former Gods may be offensive to believers, I was not particularly offended, mainly because I understand the concept of fantasy. The way the author ties all these characters together is interesting, I liked it (I'm sure Eirik Gumeny will be so glad to here that).

This book is so over the top that although I liked it and I like that style of writing, I don't think I could binge read the whole series at once. My brain kind of needed a break after this one.

Revenge-aroni  by Eirik Gumeny is a sarcastic, raunchy, sacrilegious, irreverent, and funny read. Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment