Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Apostates Book Two: Remnants

Author Lars Teeney sent me an e-version of The Apostates Book Two: Remnants for review.

Obviously being "book two" denotes that it is the second in a series (clever of me huh?). The Apostates Book Two: Remnants follows the story of the Apostate rebellion. It's no spoiler here to say the Apostates won (more or less) otherwise would we really need a sequel? So now we follow the characters from the first book as they try to re-establish the country in the power vacuum that they have created.

There are several groups, secular and religious, who wish to fill that vacuum. Although still an action oriented speculative fantasy, The Apostates Book Two: Remnants focuses more on the political machinations of those who still have personal agendas they are trying to fulfill. Have no fear, there is still plenty of action. Graphic violence is very much present (plasma blades are awesome!) as there are always advocates of violence to achieve their ends

Lars Teeney is very good at giving us characters that are well developed. He does not give us "comic book" characters. The good guys are not knights in shining armor who never ever make mistakes, and the bad guys are equally not one dimensional.

What I like most about this second book in the series is the continuation of the story beyond what could have easily been  left as it was in the first book. The rebellion was over and everyone lived happily ever after is often the way such books end. Mr. Teeney has given us in essence an extended epilogue and kept us involved in the story.

The story line of my personal favorite character has not yet been resolved, and appears that it will figure prominently in book 3. I look forward to that.

Biggest positive for me? The 1968 Charger is still tearing up the road! Although why it has to be owned by such a nasty character is unfortunate. I hope it survives book 3.

The only negative for me were the times when the story was being told in a flash back type format. A stylistic device we have all seen before. It usually takes me a few sentences to realize; oh, I'm back in such and such a time. This doesn't hurt the story, and is, of course, a legitimate format to use, I personally just sometimes struggle with it. I do better when there is a note that we are now in a different time frame. But again, that is just me.

If you liked The Apostates (book one) I think you will really like The Apostates Book Two: Remnants.
Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment