Saturday, October 7, 2017

Carmine: The Rise Of The Warrior Queen

Carmine: The Rise Of The Warrior Queen by Alan Janney is apparently connected to The Outlaw series by Mr. Janney. This is the first book I have read from this author.

Carmine definitely makes me want to read more of Mr. Janney's work. It satisfies my craving for good apocalyptic stories. Our heroine, the aforementioned Carmine, is a genetically altered female attempting to bring order to a new kingdom in the wake of ongoing societal collapse (no spoiler; this is from the cover).

Most of the main characters are in their late teens or early twenties (made me feel a bit old), so I'm guessing this is the target audience. But unlike other books aimed at that demographic, Carmine does not necessarily make folks my age the bad guys, okay by me (big of me, huh?).

Great action. The main characters are by turns; sympathetic, frustrating, humorous, endearing, frightening, aggravating, but always well developed. although the violence is at times quite graphic, it is well balanced with moments of humor and levity. We also get romance; budding, unrequited, sometimes coerced and artificially enhanced. Not much in the way of sex, but plenty of sexual tension. 

The only glaring mistake? Using the word "eluded" instead of "alluded" in a reference to Of Mice And Men.

At the end of the book Mr. Janney makes the generous offer of a free copy of Book one of The Outlaw series. Think I'm gonna go for it, Alan Janney appears to be a new author on my horizon (I can almost here some of you saying "about time!"). Carmine: The Rise Of The Warrior Queen is seriously worth your time. Enjoy!


Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment