Sunday, December 31, 2017

Jubilee Year

I was fortunate to win a print copy of Jubilee Year by Gerard O'Neill.

Jubilee Year is touted as a "techno-thriller" on Amazon, but personally I tend to agree more with the blurb on the back of the book calling it a "dystopian SF" start to the Erelong Trilogy. Pigeon-holing aside, Jubilee Year is a good story that held my interest throughout.

Set in Australia, there are quite a few things going on here. We have a secretive government about to be unmasked, an outer-space story line which promises to be very intriguing as the series progresses, of course a romance and family dysfunction.

I enjoyed each of the story lines as they developed, but I have to say that my biggest complaint is: the story read choppy to me. It doesn't do a great job of blending the various stories or letting the reader know when the story has shifted. Fairly minor and able to be overlooked because of the strength of the over all story. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention it.

As the first entry of a trilogy, Jubilee Year from author Gerard O'Neill, does a good job of introducing our main characters and setting up what is sure to be a riveting story. I know I am looking forward to reading how this one turns out. Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment