Monday, January 25, 2021

Morgan Le Fey: Small Things and Great

 



Author Jo-Anne Blanco provided a print copy of Morgan Le Fey: Small Things and Great for review. This is the first book in the Children of the Moon Trilogy.

This book presented a quite different telling of Morgan Le Fey's story. I must admit my only real knowledge of her comes from the movie Excalibur, so I cannot claim any authority as regards Arthurian legend. 

This first installment of the trilogy joins her story at five years old. I had to keep telling myself that as I read because what Morgan experiences and accomplishes at such a young age is incredible. This story takes place chronologically prior to the aforementioned movie. The character who really surprised me was Merlin, yes that Merlin (at least I think so). He is the same age as Morgana and at times an antagonist. 

We get a dose of several mythic characters from the world of Fae. It is a fairly dark story of a young girl caught up in the political intrigue of her noble parents. As well as the dizzying developments in a world most can not see, or even believe in. Authoress Blanco takes the reader on a emotional roller coaster of an adventure. To quote an old movie "hang on it's going to be a bumpy ride". 

Morgana is not necessarily wise beyond her years but she is intuitive and strong minded. Blanco does an admirable job of setting a scene, I found myself uncomfortable when the story called for it, fearful when appropriate, and relieved when things work out. I was fully immersed in the story. Very well written, and though it is the first in a trilogy, NO CLIFF HANGER! (Thank you, thank you, thank you)

If you are an enthusiast of Arthurian/Medieval tales, Morgan Le Fey: Small Things and Great should satisfy that itch. If you haven't yet tried this genre, this would be a good place to start. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment