Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Mine

Disclaimer: The Mine by John A. Heldt was given to me in e-form in exchange for a review.

I enjoy most books I review because, lets face it, I chose them. I don't accept books that don't interest me. That said, The Mine is among the books that I have enjoyed reading and reviewing the most.

This kind of surprised me because although I generally enjoy time-travel stories as part of the greater sci-fi genre, they are not what I usually seek out. What I was initially told about this story was enough to pique my interest.

The story went so far beyond that initial interest it's hard to explain. The Mine is so moving, it just captivated me. It starts out as a mostly comic buddy story and evolves along the way into a great love story. As my review guidelines state, I don't review straight romance stories. The Mine is nowhere near a straight romance story. It is light-hearted and  yet deeply serious at the same time. The romance that grows throughout the book is truly a treat to witness.

The main character is faced with a great dilemma; to use or not to use the knowledge of coming events to his advantage. I believe the author strikes a good balance here. The main character also matures as the story progresses. He understands the responsibility inherent in the knowledge he holds.

All of this set in a more innocent and simple time. I wouldn't spoil the ending for anything, but the story sets it up so well that only the most jaded reader would not find it incredibly moving.

If the reader is a fan of comedy, adventure and yes, romance, The Mine is a great way to spend some time. I believe you too will be captivated by a beautifully told story that will make you smile and leave you with a good feeling. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment