Saturday, March 5, 2016

The Theory of Irony: How Jesus Led to Moon Golf

I was given an e-version of The Theory of Irony: How Jesus Led to Moon Golf in exchange for a review.

Author Erik Von Norden has written a history book, which had it been in my high school history classes, would have made them a lot more interesting. The crux of the book is that "The best laid plans..." well, you know the rest. He highlights how the plans of men more often than not wind up with, if not opposite outcomes, at least unintended outcomes which have greatly shaped the world as we know it.

Von Norden focuses mostly on European "Royalty" and a succession Catholic Popes who strained the idea of "Christian" actions well beyond the bounds of decency and brotherly love. The stories did sort of drop off after the Industrial Revolution (probably because too many of the imbeciles he highlights are still around and too powerful to piss off), but it does show that the status-quo of current political sleaziness is no new aberration, merely business as usual. Politics and politicians have inhabited a cesspool for as long as politics and politicians have been around.  

The research alone for this work must have been staggering. I cannot vouch for the veracity of the history shared here (the author does provide copious references, but to be completely honest, I didn't do any fact checking), but if not true it should be. It seems to me to be way too much trouble to go to for a lie. Very entertaining and enlightening stuff to say the least.

The author has a great way of imparting his lessons. He appears to possess a singularly dry wit which I greatly enjoy, as I have been accused of the same.

The Theory of Irony meticulously traces European and Eurasian history developing the premise that mankind has survived and even flourished in spite of itself and its penchant for doing the stupidest possible thing at the worst possible time. Fear not, there are examples of American screwups as well.

You might get the idea that The Theory of Irony is a spoof or at least a lampoon. I assure you it is not. It is told by an author who has an eye for the absurdity and just plain goofiness of human behavior and a humorous way of sharing it.

I do not usually review non-fiction works (you've probably noticed this by the dearth of non-fiction books listed here in my blog). I believe this is only the second (the first was my wife's book, so there you go) I've actually reviewed. I'm glad I took the risk of stepping out of my fictional world to read The Theory of Irony by Erik Von Norden, it's too weird to be fiction, so it must be true. Enjoy!


Mike

1 comment:

  1. Mike, thank you so very much for the positive, encouraging comments. -Erik Von Norden

    ReplyDelete