Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Touched by a Phoenix

I received a print copy of Touched By A Phoenix, by Sophia Byron for review.

This book is identified on the back cover as an erotic romance. Had that been the only identification given when I was offered the book, I'd have declined. Fortunately, this book is much, much, more. It is also a very good action/adventure story. It also has aspects of fantasy, and even spirituality.

There is a section about 100 pages long that was literally impossible to put down, the action was that good. The entire book is very close to 600 pages long so it's not a quick read per se. The erotic passages definitely live up to that moniker, they are scorching! Again, erotica is not my first choice in genres, and there is a lot of it here. Not so much as to put me off the book. In fact I found it very interesting to note the differences in sexual passages written by a female author versus others I have read by male authors. The sex in Touched By A Phoenix is presented as an emotional connection rather than just gratuitous body bumping.

The action picks up as the story progresses, and the reader finds themselves engrossed in a top notch action/adventure/espionage story. The relationship of the main characters is not diminished at all when the action takes center stage (page). At first I was worried that author Sophia Byron would not be able to carry the intensity of the romantic story line over into the more action oriented parts of the story. I need not have worried. The intensity and suspense flowed and built to a great climax (pun not intended, but you have to admit it is a pretty good one).

Another thing I really liked was that after the action story line was resolved, the book didn't end there. This is often a complaint I have, abrupt endings with little to no epilogue. Although Byron does not identify it as such, there is a very satisfying epilogue here.

I believe my copy of Touched By A Phoenix is an ARC, so I won't belabor the typos, not too many but vile and vial are not interchangeable ('nuff said).

Touched By A Phoenix, by Sophia Byron though primarily an erotic romance, does have much more to recommend it. There are bad guys, humorous sidekicks (Demi is great), cool cars, and plenty of action. A very good read over all. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment