Sunday, January 27, 2019

Godan: The Gray Wolf of Chicago






Godan: The Gray Wolf of Chicago by [Schuelke, Garret]


I received a print copy of Godan: The Gray Wolf of Chicago from Garret Schuelke for review.

Mixed reaction to this book. I am guessing that I am probably not the target audience for this book. Not that it is so far out of my reading taste but rather that it is written in a style I am unfamiliar with. Godan is a true anti-hero. For me very little to feel a connection to and therefore difficult to root for. 

Having not read graphic novels, I got the feeling that I was reading one without the graphics. Minimalist narration, full-on action, little plot beyond linking violent encounters. I had the feeling that I was supposed to know the main character, perhaps from another work. I felt kind of lost because I didn't understand who he was. Much of the story is presented this way. His powers are revealed in a "Oh yeah, he can do this or that" takes this to a strange place for me. The same with the bad guys.

The "gutterpunk" lifestyle is a bit beyond me, sex drugs and rock and roll I get, but author Schuelke take this to a strange place for me. A completely amoral existence without meaning or purpose. I finished the book a bit bewildered, kind of like being the only sober person at a big party. 

A good book for non-stop action fans who don't need much in the way of plot. That's not me, but if it's you, enjoy!

Mike








No comments:

Post a Comment