Monday, January 28, 2019

The Tyre




I was given an e-copy of The Tyre by C.J. Dubois & E.C. Huntley for review.

Set in India, an untouchable caste man finds a huge tyre (tire in America) and we follow the changes this brings to his life.

What I liked the most about this story was Ranji, the main character. Immediately sympathetic, he is at once illiterate yet very wise. His existence is a daily struggle to keep body and soul connected but he does not bemoan his state. He doesn't whine about injustice or unfairness. 

He has a beautiful wife and loving family (they actually respect him, how unusual today). I enjoyed the strength of their bond and their unity in working to benefit the family. 

Obviously I can not speak to the accuracy of the portrayal of life in India, but the narrative was rich in detail and feeling. It captured me completely, drawing me into a much different lifestyle.

I truly enjoyed my time with Ranji and his family. I saw on the authors Goodreads page that they were considering a sequel, I hope they do. Enjoy!




Mike






No comments:

Post a Comment