Sunday, November 26, 2017

Bittersweet Symphony

I requested a copy of Bittersweet Symphony from author Rebecca McNutt and she generously provided one.

Bittersweet Symphony is the first example of this authors writing that I have read. I was somewhat concerned because Miss McNutt is considerably younger than me and I wondered if her book would be aimed at my age group. I quickly realized my fears were completely unfounded. Bittersweet Symphony is a story that speaks to anyone who has experienced life at all.

Our author has packed an incredibly rich story in a fairly short framework. The only reason I had to spread my reading over an extended period of time is that (as usual) my ereader ran low on battery power before I could finish (I hate when that happens). The characters are so well developed and engaging (though not necessarily likable) that they could easily inhabit future stories.

How the reader will categorize Bittersweet Symphony will depend more upon the reader, I think, than the story itself. More so than many books I have read, this story lends itself to interpretation influenced by the readers own outlook on life. It is dark, twisted horror, maladjusted human interaction, and yet, redemptive. When you read it you'll see what I mean.

Bittersweet Symphony is, in the beginning at least, a dark and foreboding horror story fueled by the greed of several participants. And spooky it is. A bit reminiscent of Poltergeist. We also see demonstrated some of the darker aspects of human behavior. The characters are at turns, callous, unfeeling, and downright mean spirited. It is easy to dismiss them as poor examples of basic humanity. But as the story unfolds and we see them develop more fully this opinion may change for some.

I really enjoyed Bittersweet Symphony and when I finished, I found myself amazed at how much story was packed into 134 pages. Rebcca McNutt, young though she may be, is a talented storyteller. Enjoy!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment