Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Bloodbaths of Beatrice & Bullsby

First, as usual, I received an e-version of The Bloodbaths of Beatrice & Bullsby from author Brock Rhodes for review.

However, I have to share something here. I was sent this book in August of last year. I had just bought my e-reader and believed the salesman when he said it would accept pdf, mobi, and epub files. So, I accepted an epub version of the book. When I tried to download it on my e-reader it didn't show up. I had downloaded it with several other books and lost track of it, basically forgetting I was supposed to have it. In going through my download history recently, I found the original epub file. But I still couldn't download it! My wife spent several hours convincing my laptop to give up the file so she could just print it out for me (fortunately the book is only 151 pages). So , I finally have a print copy of the file (I guess you could call it bootleg, I hope Mr. Rhodes doesn't get mad). Multiple apologies to author Brock Rhodes for making him wait so long for a review. But I won't let the circumstances influence my review of his work.

 Now; On with the review.

The Bloodbaths of Beatrice & Bullsby is an interesting tale of a group of people, in a medieval type setting, who just want to be left alone. They eventually set up their own village and devise ways to avoid "pests". Beatrice and Bullsby are the main characters (duh) with a fairly large supporting cast. I really enjoyed this book a lot. I even caught the tip o' the hat to Rocky Horror.

There are knights in less than shining armor,  rude dragons, beautiful maidens, psuedo-Lords and Ladies, and heroes a plenty. It is a quick read (as I said, 151 pages) mainly because the story is so engaging, it's hard to put down. I actually read the book in less time than my wife spent trying to print it out.

Brock Rhodes has written a great tribute to the "everyday" man (and woman), at least that's how I see it. Faced with the cruelty of the world, the people kick butt and take names.

Good pacing, good action, good sex, good story. Not much more to say without resorting to spoilers (not gonna happen).

So, if you're into swords without sorcery, knights, dragons, pretty girls, and unlikely heroes, The Bloodbaths of Beatrice & Bullsby by Brock Rhodes, is for you. I recommend it. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment