Friday, April 29, 2016

Warphan

Author JD Mulcey sent me a print copy of Warphan for review.

Warphan strikes me as a mix of Native American Tribalism, Medieval class structure, magic and mysticism. A very good mixture of said themes. Another of those book I knew I was going to like as soon as I started reading. I guess you could say it has an element of coming-of-age, but immediate coming-of-age. The main character "Cayne" has to deal with extreme consequences for his actions while he is learning his life lessons. He is caught between the rivals in a military conflict, having no sympathy for either side.

Warphan is a thoroughly engaging story set in what at times sounds like the American Southwest, and at other times Europe. Even though these are two distinct areas, author Mulcey blends them effectively.

Warphan is the first book in a series (I don't know how many installments are coming), The Anavarza Archive. There are several intertwining story lines. Each is well realized with characters who grab our interest. My personal favorite is actually "Faylin" a skinwalker. The ending is appropriate for a series, yet does not use the device of a "cliffhanger". As you know, cliffhangers tend to tick me off.

If you are a fan of Sword and Sorcery, Good vs. Evil, Lords and Ladies, or American Indian Sprituality, read Warphan by JD Mulcey, it has all of these in good measure.

The only negative? A few too many typos, not so many as to interfere with my enjoyment of the book, but enough to notice. Hopefully they will be taken care of in future editions.

I am looking forward to reading more of this saga as it has really caught my interest. Enjoy!


Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment