Saturday, April 16, 2016

Alternative Outcome

As usual, I was given an e-version of Alternative Outcome by author Peter Rowlands for review.

What is not usual is that I am the first person in the U.S. to review this book. I don't know if I am the first to actually read it here, but I am giving the first review. How cool is that? Cool for me because I get to set the tone, or the bar, for reviews. If I like the book, other reviews may be judged against mine. If I don't like it, that tone is set as well (sound pretty full of myself, don't I? I know, I'm not all that).

On to Alternative Outcome. This book is great! It is life imitates art imitates life. It's mystery, light romance, action and intrigue. Our hero is just an average guy trying to get his book published (much like Peter Rowlands) who gets caught up in a twisting and turning ride when his fictional story comes too close to someone else's reality (that's as close to a spoiler as you're going to get).

Author Rowlands does not try to grab us with a "slam bang shoot'em up" beginning (thank you), he allows us to meet the main character and get to know and sympathize with him. The mystery builds at a comfortable pace, as does the romance. The best way I can put it is that Alternative Outcome is a comfortable read, it is not jarring beat you over the head prose. There are bad guys (real bad guys), our hero is definitely in mortal danger, and the love interest is a girl-next-door type. Not the usual unapproachable femme-fatale we usually see.

Don't misinterpret my views here to say this is a less than exciting story. Alternative Outcome is a tight mystery, that I at least, could not predict as I read it. The twists and turns are well executed. The reader has to hang on and pay attention. The action is very good, not over the top and unbelievable. Michael (the main character) is not the new super-sleuth on the block. He's not James Bond, Dirk Pitt (or even Brad Pitt).

I guess I've spent a lot of time telling you what Alternative Outcome is not. So what it is, is a great read, a book that will hold your attention and interest, as it builds in excitement and intensity to a conclusion I dare anyone but the author to see coming. The characters are realistic and sympathetic. The bad guys are sufficiently evil to earn our enmity. I realize as I write this; the story is not a roller-coaster of emotion. It is instead a steady climb to a climactic conclusion at the summit.

Alternative Outcome by Peter Rowlands is a great representation of the quality of work that is overlooked or ignored by the publishing world. I encourage everyone to explore the world of "Indie-published" literature. You won't be disappointed. You may just run across a gem like this one. I know I have found several. Enjoy!

Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment