Saturday, October 31, 2015

Andee The Aquanaut: Guardian of the Great Seas

Guardian of  the Great Seas, book one of  the Andee the Aquanaut Trilogy was given to me in e format by the author, Simon James House, for review.

Although at 60 years old I am not the target audience for this series, I did enjoy the book and I think in a few years my grandchildren may well enjoy it too. It is certainly interesting to see where children's fiction has gone since I was that age. Subject matter is much more "mature", authors now respect that children do not need to be fed watered down stories. At least this seems to be the approach of author Simon James House.

Guardian of the Great Seas deals with some fairly intense themes while maintaining a verbal level appropriate to the younger reader. There are of course, messages woven into the story but not in a heavy-handed way. It is, for the most part, upbeat and positive. It is a fun story that young readers can enjoy and fantasize about, being a part of.

I am not sure exactly at what age the author is aiming this book, with its length (160 pages), and some more mature themes, I would advise adult readers to consider the maturity level and attention span of the children with whom they wish to share this book. I don't mean to suggest that Guardian of the Great Seas is in any way a harmful book for children to read, but I am a former counselor, so my mind just naturally looks at things from that point of view.

Guardian of the Great Seas is a fun book that children will enjoy, and we all want children to foster the love of reading that so many of us possess. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment