Thursday, October 1, 2015

Woven Myths: A Slice of Quietude

Woven Myths: A Slice of Quietude by Sharon Cho was offered to me for review.

I was intrigued when offered this book because it featured female lead characters and was an action oriented story.

It was very refreshing to read a story with strong female characters that didn't reduce male characters to inconsequential idiots led around by their genitalia.

Yes, I get it, the main characters were building a same-sex relationship, and according to the authors acknowledgements, the book is an attempt to support same-sex relationships. Fine by me. I'm not gay, I don't really care if anyone else is. It's none of my business. I don't support the abuse of any group of people based on their beliefs, The most I have the right to say is I agree or disagree with their beliefs.

I know this is not the place for discussing my personal beliefs on any topic, but since the author offers the topic as an important aspect of her work, I couldn't ignore it and feel I had adequately reviewed her story.

A Slice of Quietude was for me, a great way to present such relationships in a nonthreatening and nonjudgmental way. The reader is not bludgeoned into accepting the characters relationships or even focus on them.

The story, at least as I experienced it, was more of a "buddy" action/ adventure. As in any action story, each character brought their own strengths and weaknesses to the group. There was humor, fear, danger, selflessness, camaraderie, and yes, romance.

A side comment: most action/ adventure/ quest type stories I have read almost always present an odd number of characters undertaking the quest. Usually five or seven. It has been so prevalent that I considered it a convention. So I was surprised by this book having four adventurers in the group. Nothing bad, just different.

If I haven't made it clear yet, I really enjoyed A Slice of Quietude. It was an exciting, packed story. The story line was complex enough to hold my interest and keep me involved until the end. Author Sharon Cho does not spare her characters because of their gender. They experience, and inflict, terrible violence. Cho gets down to business in painting a mental picture of the combat sequences. She paints wonderful pictures of the people and places her characters encounter, She supplies explanations of the mythic beliefs which guide the storiy.

So, If you want to read a story which supports same sex relationships A Slice of Quietude works.
If you want to read an action filled adventure, A Slice of Quietude works. If you want to read a good escapist fantasy novel without having to dwell on heavy social issues, A Slice of Quietude works.

Any way you slice it (get it?), A Slice of Quietude is a good time. Enjoy!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment